Friday 18 November 2016

POETRY- Cinquains and Versed Poems

In our second poetry session our lecturer did two other kinds of poems with the class. We did Cinquans and Versed poems. A Cinquain poem is a verse of five lines that do not rhyme. Miss Polius broke down the Cinquain by telling us that the first line consist of the topic, second line describes the topic, third line has three descriptive words ending in -ing, fourth line makes a statement about the topic and the final line uses a synonym to replace the topic.

Cinquain Lay Out-

She provided many examples of Cinquains to ensure that we understood. Then she asked us to create some of our own. Further, we were given an oppertunity to perform our Cinquans to the rest of the class. Our group members were impressed with the quality of Cinquains that were produced in a matter of 15 minutes. Finally, Miss Polius highlighted that Cinquains can be used to teach a concept in any subject area and she encouraged us to create some that we can use for teaching practice.

Example of a Cinquain-



After learning about Cinquains our lecturer transitioned smoothly into another type of poem. She did this by giving us the versed poem entitled: Chant to Kill a Snake and in groups we were required to perform the poem in our own unique way. This segment had all of us dying with laughter and as we vividly remember Gizelle Antoine's voice saying, "kill him, kill him, kill him I tell you". This was an epic session where shrills and shrills of laughter travelled across the entire block. When we were in a somewhat normal mode again Miss Polius gave us some insight about versed poems. we were informed that a versed poem may not necessarily rhyme and it consist of many verses. We could tell that this type of poem was not the favourite of many of our colleagues as it was a more complex type of poem that requires more time and effort to create. We did not get a chance to write our own versed poem due to time constraints. However, we clearly understood what it was about because Miss Polius enusured that we did.

Your Truly,
TabsNashRina

5 comments:

  1. I had soo much fun in this class, I will never forget this session. Once again a round of a plause goes to Ms. Polius for coming up with so many different ways to teach the different genres of writing. If i enjoyed it, my students are going to loovveeee it. This lady an amazing lecturer. I really think she should clone herself. lol. We need more teachers like her around. This lesson was definitely an epic session. Gizelle Antoine's voice saying, "kill him, kill him, kill him" and Melchor taking those heels off to give that kick omg i had fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes this class was rather exciting. I was at class feeling down until miss placed us in groups and presentations began. I must say Tobitha's cinquain really had me on my feet and Gizelle Antoine really shocked some of the students because not many know of her talent. That was a day I could have said I enjoyed LIT.
    MARLA

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will say again, this class has awakened in me what I thought I lost and that was my love of writing my own songs and poems when I was younger. When composing my limerick, the skills started coming back and it was so easy for me. I am sure to incorporate limericks for different content areas when I get back into the classroom.

    -Nikita

    ReplyDelete
  4. This class of DTEEA 2016 has great talent and this session brought it to life. It was rather enjoying.
    Janelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. This class was definitely one of my favourite ones. I really do not like poetry because I can never seem to get my flow just right. However, with these simple types of catchy poems, I see myself re-evaluating this statement and this hatred for poetry. This is something I really do hope to incorporate into my lessons to get the students alert, active and ready to learn.
    SHADITTA GLASGOW

    ReplyDelete